My husband has been working part-time for the last two years, so this means he takes on a lot of the childcare and household responsibilities. He is really quite comfortable with dragging three boys around town to run errands, probably because he is oblivious to their misbehavior in public.
I know my husband is competent, but I forget the rest of the world doesn't seem to have the same confidence in fathers that I do. Kevin is used to get strange looks and questions the first time he takes the boys anywhere, even things as fun as the park leave moms looking at him like he is a creepy pedophile. Kevin is a good sport and takes it in stride. Usually.
Usually our dentist and doctor are really great. For years they have been offering my husband praise when he bring the boys is (note that I never get told I am doing a great job for just being a mother). Friday Kevin loaded the boys in the truck to go get their flu shot. He calls Kaiser to find out if there is a flu shot clinic or somewhere specific he needs to go. He talks to a male customer service representative who won't give him any information unless he can get the boys' medical number. Of course, I have those in my wallet and I am at work. However, they can look it up using Kevin's number. Now the guy wants Kevin to verify each child's birthday (because I guess we are stealing services through the phone or there is some privacy issues because random strangers call about these things?!).
I love my husband, but he can barely remember his own birthday, let alone our three kids. Surprisingly, he get the day and month right, but is off on two of the years. This, apparently makes the guy suspicious and the dude gets an attitude. Of course, Kevin is completely irritated and annoyed because he just wants to know about the flu shot. Eventually, Kevin must sound enough like a parent and not a kidnapper seeking flu shots because he gets transferred to an advice nurse. The nurse tells Kevin all three boys are due for a physical, so he can bring them in Monday and they can all get their flu shots then.
Kevin puts the appointment on the family calendar and texts me at work to let me know since Monday is my day off.
I told him he can go ahead and take the kids down by himself, but he tells me having me along is much easier since no one ever assumes I have kidnapped my children to take them to the doctor.
I am ashamed to say he is right. But he IS right.
No comments:
Post a Comment