Me and the crazy kids

Me and the crazy kids
Me and the crazy kids

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A curse or blessing?

I love my iPhone. I wasn't thrilled when I received it as a gift, but I was won over rather quickly. Kevin also has an iPhone, and I bought him an iPad for his birthday.

This all sounds lovely, but our kids are addicted to these Apple products. The kids have the phones when we are home and Ellis has the iPad upon waking. In fact, the only time they are without these electronic gadgets is when I insist they give them up and go play - you know, outside. Or, when I take the "media" away as punishment.

I never wanted to be that parent -you know the one that buys their kids the expensive electronic stuff, but when I got the iPhone 4, I wrapped up my iPhone 3 that was in great shape and gifted it to Ethan for Christmas. Naturally, Emmett got Kevin's when he also got a new phone.

We mostly did this to save our sanity - the kids could play their games (Dragonvale and Angry Birds) and Kevin and I could have our phones back.

The new iPhone was released and Kevin and I decided to upgrade. I have never seen kids so excited because they knew that meant our old phones would be available for 24 hour use. I told the kids they weren't getting our old phone. Uh huh. Sure.

Within days, they were referring to the iPhone 4s as "their" phones. Ellis also calls the iPad, "my iPad" - yes, he does know how to work it better than I do.

I reassure myself that I haven't become "those" parents because I don't pay for service on the old phones - they use them like an iPod touch on our wifi at home.

Ethan asked me just yesterday how much it is to get internet service on "his" phone - I told him way too much money and that wasn't going to happen. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment