Me and the crazy kids

Me and the crazy kids
Me and the crazy kids

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Boys and hair. Bad News.



My kids dislike haircuts, okay this blog seems to be turning into stories about things my kids hate, but they really do dislike haircuts.
 
I am not sure why; I suppose it is scary having a stranger use scissors really close to your face. Maybe it is that they are attached to their hair - pun intended. I do find with each one, though, the hair fiasco is different.

Ethan never wants a haircut, not even a trim. He wants a full head of thick tangled long hair. He even got mistaken for a girl at Target when an older woman asked me if my daughter - pointing at Ethan - liked a particular toy. I didn't bother to correct her - he did look and sound like a girl. I told Ethan that is the price you pay to have long hair. I actually can care less what "style" the kids choose for their hair. In fact, if Ethan wants to have a tangled mop, he can, but I draw the line at the smell. He refuses to wash it and refuses to comb it. It is disgusting, and of course, people judge me if he looks like a homeless abandoned child. 





 



 I have let the boys choose their hair cuts as soon as they were old enough to talk. This is why Emmett went through a phase where he had a Mohawk. A colored Mohawk. You should have saw the dirty looks the old ladies on the street gave me. 



Ellis had long curly hair until he turned one - then we cut it off. We got tired of explaining that Ellis was not a girl. Ellis is still at the stage where he screams and wiggles to get away from the haircut. Not a good idea to take him to Supercuts, where the women tell me I should get "more control" of him. 



Perhaps part of the reason I let them choose their hair is because it is not worth the fight. Yes, I believe in self-expression, but more importantly, I believe in self-survival. I have better things to fight with them about (no, you can't stab your brother) then when and how they should cut their hair.

The current compromise? Ethan gets his hair trimmed twice a year, and I get to scream at him to wash it at least once a week, especially if we go out in public.

Emmett and Ellis: I simply hold them down every other month and buzz cut their frizzy curly hair down to nothing - then I can't tell when they don't wash it, and it doesn't matter if they don't comb it.

Now, if only I could apply some of this to my husband's hair...

2 comments:

  1. Benjamin had long hair until last winter. People called him a girl all the time and he didn't really care.

    True story. His fancy-pants aunt usually cuts his hair, but with all the nonsense at the salon, she hasn't had time. So, I took him to Sports Clips today. The second sentence the middle-aged white woman dressed as a hoodlum who was to cut his hair said was, "no offense against his aunt." He was in tears and we left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People at those hair places are awful. The first place we took Ellis to was on of those kid haircut places. It took them an hour to shave his head and they complained the whole time. This is why I just do it myself.

    ReplyDelete