Me and the crazy kids

Me and the crazy kids
Me and the crazy kids

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Extra curricular activities...you know, torture.

I am undecided about organized sports for the kids. I know some people think ALL kids should play as many sports as they can fit into their schedule, and I like the idea of sports. I just don't like the actual commitment of sports and sports teams.

First, they cost a lot of money; second, almost every activity is 3-4 days a week; third, they require me to volunteer or sell shit. None of this is all that appealing even if the kids will learn some cooperation and develop some self-esteem. It also doesn't help that I have more than one kid to juggle. 

My father wouldn't allow me to sign up for any activities Softball, and I wasn't really an athletic girl, so I passed. I have regrets as an adult that I never got to take dance or music classes, which may be why I am so willing to allow my kids to do whatever activities they ask.

Except, my kids would sign up for every activity known to children if possible. Ethan as done: golf, baseball, guitar, choir, theatre, and dance. Emmett had done soccer and baseball, so far.  I made a rule last year that they can only do one activity at a time because there was a point Ethan was doing THREE all at the same time.

My issue, however, is not even with this, really. My issue is with the complaining and whining they do about going to activities they BEG me to join. I sound like my dad when I threaten and cajole, telling them no more activities in the future and reminding them of how much money and time it costs me.

They don't care. Take Emmett last week. He is in the middle of a soccer season; Kevin is even the assistant coach. They get to practice and Emmett refuses to participate. Literally plops himself down in the middle of the field. This is not the first time he has done this.

 Kevin comes up with a brilliant idea: he tells Emmett to either participate in soccer or run laps until he decides to participate. Emmett chooses to run laps.

Ten laps to be exact. Yes, he ran laps for the entire hour of soccer instead of playing.

He won, and we lost. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment