Trying to potty train is
one of the more frustrating experiences as a parent. When Ethan reached
the age we wanted to start potty training, I conquered it the way I always do:
I read a bunch of books.
Everything I read, said that you should make it fun, no
pressure, reward for the small things. Well, this hasn't worked. After potty
training two boys, I feel like an expert. An expert at knowing that nothing
works.
None of the books are right. All I know is that kid will
stop pissing and shitting in diapers when they feel like it - not when you want
them too. I know that some parents will say that isn't true - my kid responded
easily to stickers on a chart, or just putting them in underwear, or letting
them run naked, or giving them candy as a reward, etc. But, I will argue that
you just tapped into the idea that your kid was ready - that or you have really
easy kids.
None of mine were that easy. Ethan never was into the
micro-managing of potty training. We tried. He refused. When he was about 2.5,
Ethan really wanted this $70 Cranky the Crane (Thomas the Train) play set.
Kevin told him if he started using the big boy potty and went a week without
needing a diaper or having an accident, Kevin would buy it for him. That week
Ethan was potty trained and never looked back. Yes, Kevin had to order the $70
toy, but in our minds, that was $70 well spent.
Now, Emmett has always been head strong and stubborn. About
the same age, we tried the same trick. That didn't work. We tried the stickers
and the candy. No luck. We tried letting him go naked or pee outside (he liked
that), but it didn't translate to no diapers. At the age of 3.5, I thought we
would be an adult still in diapers, but one day he just said to me that he
would like some underwear and to be a big boy - I think that Ellis was about to
be born played a role. That was it. Seriously, no bribery needed.
Here we are with Ellis. He turned three in September. We
have a potty seat in the bathroom, which Ellis will sit on before baths and pee
in there (but no other time). Ellis finally has enough language skills to
communicate his needs, so we figure time for potty training. Low pressure
should work, right? Nope. He will tell you he is stinky, bring you a diaper and
wipes to be changed, but he won't go in the potty. I always tell him he is a
big boy and should go in the big boy potty, but he just tells me, "no way."
We went and bought him some cool Cars underwear and put them
on him - telling him he has to go in the potty. That lasted one hour before he
had soiled all three pairs. I am tired of paying for diapers, and I know he
will eventually decide the toilet is great, but until then I am not sure I can
survive.
The idea of all three boys using a toilet and no diapers just
seems like a dream come true -- until I go into the bathroom and see their
definition of using the toilet.
No comments:
Post a Comment