Yes, I use them in my adult classroom. Typically, I explain my reasoning and most students are fine with it. This doesn't mean that they don't have questions or shitty comments:
- Don't you have a broader vocabulary?
- Shouldn't you act more professional?
- I would expect more from an English Professor.
- Did your parents let you talk this way?
- Those words are a reflection of your behavior!
- Don't you have any morals?
Now, let me clear about this - I do NOT cuss at people. I don't call people names, but I may tell my students to turn in their shit that is due, or stub my toe and yell, "Fuck." I mean, honestly, that word serves the best when you stub your toy or step on a Lego.
In my house, stupid is just as bad a word a bitch. Honestly, I might have my feelings hurt more if someone called me stupid. So, in response to the people who as me if I let me kids cuss, I tell them if they want to - as long as it wasn't directed at someone. However, I also tell me kids the truth. There are many, many people who believe those words are "bad," and if you chose to use them outside our home, people will think I am a terrible mother.
What? That isn't manipulation - it is the truth. So do my kids cuss? Nope, not really. They love me and wouldn't want anyone to think I am a bad mom!
The funniest thing is that kids have an uncanny way of using foul language in the most appropriate ways - that is why I hate to forbid any words.
For example, Ethan was three - I told him to go play on the swings in our backyard, so he headed out. A few minutes later he came back in, so I asked him why he wasn't playing out back anymore. His response, "there is too much dog shit out there because dad hasn't cleaned it up." Funniest (and most honest) answer ever. Really, how was I supposed to stop and correct him to say poop, not shit. I mean it was only the truth.
I just laughed and moved on. In my house, you are more likely to hear Emmett call one of us a dummy, stupid head, idiot - then one of the seven forbidden words.
You know, Benjamin doesn't really cuss either, even though I did. Sure, some of his first fun phrases were things like "stupid fucking piece of shit," which is what he heard me yell at our old computer multiple times of day. But we've always had that audience appropriate discussion with him. As of yet, he's not particularly interested in swearing. I likely wouldn't comment if he did swear, unless it was clearly an inappropriate moment or unless his intention was to cause emotional harm.
ReplyDelete