Emmett likes to punish me, well try to punish me. Depending on his mood, a simple request, put on your shoes, can turn into a giant life-ending fight.
A few months ago, I asked Emmett to sit at the table and eat his dinner (as opposed to running around the house dropping various pieces of food on the floor). His response was that he was running away because I didn't love him. Now, I don't buy into his antics -all attention seeking - so I just said okay, you should pack a bag because it will be cold tonight outside.
Emmett doesn't bluff. He packed a bag and decided he was going to live under the trampoline, a whopping 10 feet from my bedroom window. He went out there about 7:30. He dug around, gathered some scrap wood to build a fire, brought a pillow and blanket, and some food. It got dark around 8:30 and he was still out there. My husband started to freak out - you aren't really going to let him stay out there are you?
I reminded him that soon Emmett would give up and come in. I watched him through the window. He had shed his shirt and shoes, had smeared mud on his face for war paint, and was sharpening a stick to use as a spear for hunting. When this kids decides to do something, he goes all out. I hear him scraping two sticks together to start a fire - no luck. I tried to talk to him - he told me he didn't have a family, and he doesn't talk to strangers. I left him alone.
About 9:30, he comes and knocks on the door. He acts like he doesn't know me - and asks if I could "spare a meal and a bed for a homeless person" (I swear!). And I say sure - then I ask him where he is traveling from - he tells me Sacramento - his family ditched him (hahaha). He comes in and eats his dinner, climbs into his bed and goes to sleep.
The next morning he comes out and acts like nothing happened. I think he realized he was only punishing himself, but I did have to appreciate his creativity and stubbornness. One day those traits are going to serve him well in life.
freaking hilarious! You're right--you just can't make this stuff up.
ReplyDeleteHilarious! He has one hell of a personality! My son never would have come up with that sh*t! There's a lot to say for having siblings...you learn a lot. lol
ReplyDelete